Wednesday, February 12, 2020

Campout equipment and cooking


Hi again!

The Scouts who are cooking this weekend will need to share with me your meal plans.  I only got a couple of them last night.  You can send me a picture in a text or as an email attachment.  I want to be sure I know the utensils that you need to cook your meals.  I will bring all of the items you need to cook the meal, but you will need to bring the items needed to cook.   It sounds like we need at least four stoves for you to cook on this weekend.  I also did not get the names of those cooking and who they are cooking for in your groups.  That is important for me to know as well.

Those Scouts working on their Cooking Merit Badge will be responsible for purchasing their food items.  I called and talked with Todd last night, both Todd and I agreed that those Scouts working on the Cooking Merit Badge will purchase the food they need to cook for the Merit Badge.   Those Scouts working on the Second Class and First Class advancement would only be responsible for cooking the food purchased by the Troop. For example, think about a Scout working on the Woodwork Merit Badge.  The troop does not provide the wood kit for the Scout to take with him to complete the Woodwork Merit Badge.  The same would be for the food that the Scout needs to complete the Cooking Merit Badge.  I hope this helps to explain why we are asking the Scouts to purchase the food they will be making at this event. 

Please keep your receipts and being them on Tuesday to the meeting.  
I have attached a form that you will need to complete for reimbursement.
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BylCpEtBUayDT0swLTBKNzZHNHM/edit  

Also, I learned something new about our troop that has been done for the Cooking Merit Badge. The Cooking Merit Badge counselor has met Scouts before or during the troop meetings at the campfire area and they worked on the cooking during this time.  This might be something that we can do for those that need to earn their Cooking Merit badge.  They would work with the Merit Badge counselor.  Cooking in the warmer temperatures might be a good idea!  :)  

Those going on the trip this weekend will need to plan for very cold weather camping.  The forecast is still about the same.  It will be colder on Friday night: 
DAY
DESCRIPTION
HIGH / LOW
PRECIP
WIND
HUMIDITY
FRI

FEB 14
Partly Cloudy
25°16°
0%
NNW 6 mph
54%
SAT

FEB 15
Partly Cloudy
42°32°
0%
S 7 mph
45%
SUN

FEB 16
Mostly Cloudy
44°33°
10%
SW 7 mph
76%

What should I bring this weekend?
Here is a link to a Boy's Life article and pdf  about some basics for Cold Weather Outings.

Items to consider bringing and do during the campout:
Blanket over your head - One of the items that is not listed is a blanket to cover your head.  In the winter, I have a polyester hat and blanket that I have that allows me to breath warmer air than the cold air in my tent.  

Ground pad - Another items is to be sure that you have a good ground pad.  You do not want the cold ground to be next to your body.  You must have something that gets you off the ground.  

Bathroom - I always go to the bathroom before going to bed on a cold night.  It is much better sleeping on an empty bladder and not having to go to the bathroom during the night.

Sleeping clothes - I also have a complete set of clothes that I only use for sleeping.  I take off all of my clothes including socks and underwear.  I change into the fleece top, bottom fleece and socks only, no cotton underwear or cotton t-shirt.  The fleece wicks the moisture away from your body and keeps you warmer.

Batteries - Bring extra flashlight batteries because the colder temperatures makes the batteries lost their charge faster.

Hand Warmers - Bring several hand and feet warmers with you.  They very helpful in keeping you warm. 

Backpack or Rubbermaid tote - We will be using the trailer this weekend, so if you want to pack your items in a backpack or a Rubbermaid tote, you can choose either one.  Whatever works best for you.

Socks - You need to bring at least two pairs of socks for each day.  I think five pairs of socks should be good.  Do not bring cotton socks.  They need to be a blend or wool socks.  

Who is ready?  I am looking forward to earning another Polar Bear Patch for sleeping in the cold weather.  Are you?

--
Phillip Freeman
Scoutmaster, Troop 136 in Grove City, OH 

No comments:

Post a Comment